Pressure cookers are very useful appliances which use some simple laws of physics to cook food faster and using lesser energy. In general, it reduces the cooking time and energy by over 70%. If yours is a busy household, you will find the use of pressure cooker a very convenient and time saving option for you. They can cook a wide variety of dishes from soups, stews, and meat to desserts like cake and much more.
- After each use, clean each part of your cooker separately and properly.
- Remove the gasket from the lid and then wash it without stretching it. Let it dry.
- Store it only when completely dry with the gasket back in place and the lid upside down over the pot.
How to increase the life of your pressure cooker and get the most out it:
- Read the instruction manual carefully before using it for the first time so that you know the features of your specific model and how to operate it.
- Before every use check the condition of the gasket and the valves. If the gasket is cracked or de-shaped and no longer seals, you will need to replace it. Check that the valves are clean and not obstructed by any food stuck to it.
- Cut your ingredients evenly before adding them to the pressure cooker. Evenly cut pieces will take equal cooking time. If your ingredients like meat are cut non-uniformly, smaller pieces will cook before the larger resulting in overcooking or undercooking.
- Brown your ingredients (like meat, onion or garlic) first in the cooker without the lid and the liquid. Browning in a little oil enhances the taste and the looks of your dish. After browning you can add the liquid and seal the lid to begin pressure cooking. Electric pressure cookers like Breville generally have a browning setting available.
- The key to the functionality of a pressure cooker are the vapors produced inside it. This means you have to add enough liquid to produce enough vapor for the pressure cooker to function.
- Do not overfill your cooker. As a rule of thumb, only fill it to a maximum of two-third its capacity. Many best pressure cookers have minimum and maximum markings available on Choose Pressure Cooker.
- When you begin cooking, turn the flame high till the cooker reaches pressure. When the cooker has reached pressure, turn the flame low and keep it that way till the food cooks. With electric pressure cooker, you don’t have to worry about this point as the cooker adjusts the temperature and the pressure on its own.
- Different ingredients use different cooking times. If you are adding multiple ingredients like meat and vegetables, you should know that vegetables take much lesser time to cook than meat. First add meat, let it cook for a while on pressure. Then release the pressure, open the cooker when the pressure has subsided, add the vegetables, close the lid and pressure cook again for few minutes. Your vegetables should cook within a few minutes.